Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Microwaved chicken





I think this is one of my more nonsensical works. 

I had many ideas for this project, ranging from a swordfight using silverware to recording my sewing machine on all the different stitch settings.

I chose to record the hum of a microwave because it is ongoing, and the process of the microwave door opening and shutting, and the timer beeping, are familiar sounds that also provide us with a mental image that is easy to visualize.

I overlayed chicken sounds that progressed from the soft peeps of baby chicks to the sort of medium-deep clucks of pullets and then ended up with the agitated, loud whining of my oldest hen. Sort of going off the idea that something put in a microwave goes through a process of heating or cooking, a chemical change. What really happens when one microwaves a chicken? 


https://soundcloud.com/jean-lynn-kc/microwaved-chicken

2 comments:

  1. Holy shoot what is happening in the end? Did something explode?😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you got the chicken sounds while the microwave is going. I used to have chickens in my backyard and the rising tension/anxiety of their clucking perfectly fits with the tension of the microwave sound. I also like that the clucking is still there at the end, the chicken survived, it wasn't "cooked", but transformed somehow. I like to imagine that big noise at the end is it jumping out of the microwave and getting its revenge...

    ReplyDelete

Photos, prints, book, exhibit

This project was quite the process for me. For the Something is Happening photos project, I really did not have many ideas going into it, an...